Normal Heights United Methodist Church is looking for a community-minded San Diegan with strong leadership skills who strives to create connections, help others, and sees this as sacred work.
It is the desire of the church that we become a hub where people from all walks of life have opportunities and a place to connect. Our mission for this project is to serve the community as a regional center where information about local resources is accessible. The Community Hub Coordinator will aid in making these visions possible. The purpose of this position is to coordinate, direct, organize and publicize events and projects at Normal Heights United Methodist Church and in the surrounding neighborhoods. A key element of this position will also be to consolidate and disseminate community resource information.
- Follow and support the passions of the people of NHUMC in order to develop long-term service connections that are meeting the needs in our community and world.
- Work with staff and volunteers in visioning, goal-setting, and long range planning to accomplish our projects and objectives
- Serve as a community liaison to network and maintain an up-to-date resource directory of local public, private and nonprofit organizations and their provided services
- Network with the congregation and community organizations regarding mission, assistance and advocacy opportunities
- Recruit and work with volunteers and local organizations to organize projects
- Coordinate efforts to assist and advise community members who walk into the church seeking assistance
- Oversee the budgets for all outreach projects.
- Have a general awareness of resource development tasks (e.g. grants, fundraising, donors)
- Work within the operational structure of the church
- Be active within the life of the Normal Heights United Methodist Church which should include attendance at weekly staff meetings and regular attendance at Sunday morning worship
Two or more years of experience (volunteer and/or paid) in social services delivery or coordination
– or –
Formal education in (or working towards) social services, communication, or a related field
Be relational, connect well and be communicative with a welcoming, available, and friendly spirit
Work effectively and harmoniously with professional and church personnel
Experience working with at-risk target populations, diverse cultures, and families from varying socioeconomic backgrounds
Ability to demonstrate leadership and teamwork skills
Take initiative and be capable of working independently
Be flexible and creative
Knowledgeable about community events, schools, and organizations
Excellent communication skills: competency in email, phone calls, social media and in-person conversations
Experience using social media for networking and publicizing events
Multiple languages spoken is a plus
This is a 20-35 hour a week position at $20 an hour. If you think that this position may fit who you are, please email Pastor Brent by filling out this form…